This talk doesn’t even pretend to give you simplistic answers on how to effect change around quality in your organization; however, you will learn practical tips on how to start making that change happen. We’ll discuss forming and refining a clear vision, getting stakeholders on board, and dealing with forces resisting the changes. You’ll also learn critical concepts like clarifying your idea, speaking the right language, creating a good pitch, and figuring out who owns the money you’ll need for your idea. Some of the real world examples you’ll hear include working to set expectations around improvements in your organization’s approach to quality, getting appropriate hardware and software for testing environments, dealing with offshore/outsourced testing teams, and creating an organization-wide culture that cares about quality. You’ll leave this session with ideas on avoiding pitfalls based on places where Jim’s fallen short, and also approaches to try based on his successes.
Speaker: Jim Holmes, Telerik
Jim Holmes is the Test Studio Evangelist at Telerik. He has over 25 years in the IT field in positions including PC technician, WAN manager, customer relations manager, developer, and, yes, tester. Jim has held jobs in the DOD, the software consulting domain, and commercial software product sectors. He’s been a long-time advocate of test automation and has delivered software on a wide range of platforms. He co-authored the book Windows Developer Power Tools and blogs frequently at http://FrazzledDad.com. Jim is also the President of the Board of Directors for the CodeMash conference held in the middle of winter at an indoor waterpark in Sandusky, Ohio.
Don't miss these other great sessions at the QUEST 2013 Conference and EXPO:
- Presentation: Business Intelligence and Data Warehouse Testing Techniques
- Presentation: Harnessing the Cloud for On-Demand Software Testing
- Workshop: Integrating Exploratory Testing with Traditional Testing Methods
- Presentation: Testing Collaboration Sites and Content Management Solutions
- Presentation: The Importance of Code Coverage in the Internet Age
- Presentation: Risk-Based Configuration Control: Balancing Flexibility with Stability
- Presentation: The Battle of the Bug: Working Together in the Pursuit of Quality
- Presentation: Regression Transformation Initiative: A Case Study
- Workshop: Critical Thinking in Software Testing: Leveraging the Scientific Method
- Half-Day Tutorial: Creative Techniques for Discovering Test Ideas
- Half-Day Tutorial: Risk-Based Peer Reviews
- Presentation: Verification and Validation Methods: Should You Be Using Them Today?
- Two-Day Class: Essentials of Software Testing