There is a dichotomy in software configuration management. On one side, individual developers and testers need the flexibility necessary to do creative work, to modify code and tests, to try what-if scenarios, to make mistakes and learn from them to evolve better software solutions. On the other side, teams need stability to allow code and tests to be shared, to create builds and perform testing in a consistent environment, and to ship high-quality products with confidence. This requires an intricate balance. Too much flexibility can result in problems. On the other hand, enforcing too much stability can result in costly bureaucratic overhead, delays in delivery, and may even require developers and testers to ignore the process in order to get their work done. This presentation explores risk-based software configuration control and techniques that can be used to help maintain the balance between flexibility and stability as software moves through the life cycle.
Speaker: Linda Westfall, The Westfall Team
Linda Westfall is the President of The Westfall Team, which provides software engineering, software quality engineering, and software project management training and consulting services. Linda has more than 35 years of experience in real time software engineering, quality, and metrics. She has worked as a software engineer, systems analyst, process engineer, and manager. Linda is a past chair of the ASQ Software Division and has served as the Division’s Program Chair and Certification Chair and on the ASQ National Certification Board. Linda is the author of The Certified Software Quality Engineer Handbook. She is an ASQ fellow and has a PE in Software Engineering.
Don't miss these other great sessions at the QUEST 2013 Conference and EXPO:
- Presentation: Business Intelligence and Data Warehouse Testing Techniques
- Presentation: Harnessing the Cloud for On-Demand Software Testing
- Presentation: That Sounds Great in Practice, But…
- Workshop: Integrating Exploratory Testing with Traditional Testing Methods
- Presentation: Testing Collaboration Sites and Content Management Solutions
- Presentation: The Importance of Code Coverage in the Internet Age
- Presentation: The Battle of the Bug: Working Together in the Pursuit of Quality
- Presentation: Regression Transformation Initiative: A Case Study
- Workshop: Critical Thinking in Software Testing: Leveraging the Scientific Method
- Half-Day Tutorial: Creative Techniques for Discovering Test Ideas
- Half-Day Tutorial: Risk-Based Peer Reviews
- Presentation: Verification and Validation Methods: Should You Be Using Them Today?
- Two-Day Class: Essentials of Software Testing