A leader sets an example, inspires others to follow, and then to lead in their turn. You don’t have to be a manager to be a leader, but if you’re not a good leader, you can’t be a good manager. Inspiring testing means much more than just getting a team to follow you. It means fostering teamwork that will enhance the effectiveness of your whole project team. It means earning credibility for testing so that managers and fellow team members understand its value and the importance of the information your testing uncovers. You can shine as a test leader even if you are the only tester on your project team. In this class we will examine the key focus areas for test leaders, and work together to interactively identify the skills and personal qualities essential for exceptional test leadership. You will have a full day opportunity to assess your leadership aspirations and potential.
Join this full day course to learn about your leadership aspirations and potential.
Attendees will learn:
- The most important skills and qualities for a test leader
- How they personally cope with a particular leadership challenge
- How they can grow their test leadership skills
This full-day class consists entirely of experiential exercises and debriefs. Participants will work together on problem-solving exercises and participate in facilitated discussions about what they experienced and learned in the exercises.
Instructor: Fiona Charles, Quality Intelligence
Fiona Charles teaches testers and other IT people project skills “beyond process”— skills essential to thrive and excel on any kind of software project. An expert test consultant and manager, she has been in the thick of it through 30+ years of challenging projects across the business spectrum on both sides of the Atlantic. Throughout her career, Fiona has advocated, designed, implemented and taught pragmatic and humane practices to deliver software worth having. Fiona’s articles appear frequently, and she conducts experiential workshops at international conferences and in-house for clients. She is co-founder and host of the Toronto Workshop on Software Testing, an annual peer conference for test practitioners. She edited The Gift of Time, a collection of essays celebrating Jerry Weinberg’s work, and the “Women of Influence” special issue of STP Magazine in which she was also featured.
Don't miss these other great sessions at the QUEST 2013 Conference and EXPO:
- Bonus Session : Being Mature About Quality
- Presentation : Redefining the Purpose of Software Testing
- Workshop : Growing QA Skills
- Presentation : Total Quality Assurance: It’s Not Just Testing
- Presentation : The Standardization Journey: How to Centralize Your Testing Standards
- Presentation : Testing Outsourcing Challenges: Views from Both Sides
- Presentation : Rescuing Troubled Projects
- Workshop : Virtually There: Being Heard When Not Seen in Teams
- Workshop : Selling an Investment in Quality
- Half-Day Tutorial : Outsource Testing: How to Monitor Contractor Performance
- Workshop : The Key to Employee Engagement: Take Your Work, Not Yourself, Seriously
- Presentation : Building a Successful Test Center of Excellence
- Presentation : Creating Dissonance: Overcoming Organizational Bias toward Software Testing
- Presentation : Innovative QA: Remaining Relevant in Tomorrow’s IT