This full-day course reviews the mobile marketplace as well as mobile design concepts and terms. Students learn about the mobile marketplace from both a competitive analysis and by a review of marketplace statistics. The class training covers device and application settings that impact your mobile app. This class is designed for testers new to mobile testing and for students who want to understand mobile design and the mobile marketplace in more detail. The class time is divided between lecture, interactive discussion and classroom exercises.
Bring your own smartphone to class to enhance your learning.
In this full day course on mobile testing, the primary objective of the class is on three key challenges in mobile testing: understanding the mobile device market, learning about device and application settings and learning about the mobile user interface experience. Attendees will learn how to:
Join this full day course build your mobile testing knowledge
- Find ways to keep up-to-date with the mobile market
- Learn mobile UX concepts and design
- Understand device and application settings
- Learn how to conduct a competitive analysis
Introduction to Mobile Testing – Are you overwhelmed by the number of mobile devices you need to test? The market is large and new devices become available almost every week. Specific topics include:
- The device market
- The app market
- The “global” market versus North America
- Keeping up with marketplace news and statistics
Mobile User Interface, Design & User Experience – A detailed review of terminology and design concepts of the mobile user experience. Topics include:
- Uniquely mobile: touch, pinch & zoom, one eye, one hand
- Responsive design
- Phone versus tablet
- iOS versus Android versus Windows Phone 8
- Navigation, menus and forms
- Search, sort, filter
Mobile App & Device Settings – A review device and app settings. Topics include:
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi, 3G, 4G
- Data Storage: SD cards, Sim Cards
- App Settings & App Permissions
The Competitive Mobile Marketplace – Learning how to conduct a survey of mobile apps and becoming aware of what your competitors are offering is one method of growing your own mobile knowledge. Specific topics include:
- Market ratings & comments
- Reviewing the vertical competition
- Reviewing the mobile competition
- Bring your own smartphone to conduct a competitive analysis
Instructor: Karen Johnson, Software Test Management, Inc.
Karen N. Johnson is an independent software test consultant based in Chicago, Illinois. She views software testing as an intellectual challenge and believes in the context-driven school of testing. Karen teaches and consults on a variety of topics in software testing. She frequently speaks at software testing conferences. She has been published in Better Software and Software Test and Performance magazines and on InformIT.com and StickyMinds.com. She is also the co-founder of WREST, the Workshop on Regulated Software Testing (http://www.wrestworkshop.com/Home.html). For the past two years, Karen has served as an executive board member for the Association for Software Testing (AST).